21 In Uncategorized

Just Start [and get over your need for a perfect plan]

A little real talk real quick:

Today is Friday. I shuffled around in zombie-like fashion for the first two hours of my morning. The week was full. The remnants of summer’s days – long and slow – are quickly evaporating. Our eager seven-year-old neighbor, desperate to borrow my husband’s phone for a few rounds(?) of Pokemon Go legitimately wondered if Tanner will ever get a break again. And I wonder the same thing. Can I find the chance to get on top of things  before the race to the end of the semester breaks out in a full-fledged sprint?

Fall has taken off and I feel as though I am left chasing after it, like the kid who missed his bus. And so, without a vision of what is important, the tyrannical urgent has moved my days along. I get to work on time, I muddle my way through my commitments, I somehow get 3 meals a day on the table (or in tupperware to-go), I get the dishes done (sometimes). But the creative projects, the big vision dreams, the things I long to do but am not driven by the consequences of them not happening…these things are lost.

I don’t think it is a lack of time that keeps me from sitting down to do these things. There are slots of time scattered throughout all of my days – no matter how busy. We can always find time for what we really want to do.

It is the inability to get started that is holding me back.

I don’t want to start until I have a complete plan. I don’t want to begin a project until I know how I will complete it. I want to map out where I am going and how I will get there.

Twenty minutes ago I put the baby that I care for down for a morning nap. I read a few pages of a book, scrolled through Instagram, switched the laundry, and tried to decide how to use this quiet time. I wanted to write something but I didn’t have a great idea of what and I knew I’d probably be interrupted by before I finished anything. I opened Twitter.  I don’t even like Twitter. I do like what Bob Goff has to say on there though, especially today.

“Most of us don’t need a better plan, we just need to start.”

I closed Twitter and opened a new document.

It isn’t about perfection. It can’t be about perfection. We just have to do something.

So I’m here, on a Friday morning while the baby sleeps. I started. I did something. It won’t be anywhere close to the best post I have written. I don’t even know if I’ll publish it. But that’s not what matters. What matters is starting.

I don’t know where you are on this September Friday morning. Maybe you feel like you missed the bus too and you’re chasing to catch up to the season that started without you. Maybe it feels like you can only manage to do the things that are pressing up against you, the urgent deadlines and details. Maybe your plan isn’t perfect. Maybe you don’t even have a plan. But I don’t think any of that is big enough to hold us back from giving a wholehearted, imperfect start and beginning the groundwork for our quiet hopes today.

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

endlessjoy
    September 9, 2016 at 10:30 am

I am glad you published this post. It’s genuine and from the heart. Have a wonderful Friday full of many blessings!

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

Thank you so much for your sweet encouragement!

7sweetpea1
    September 9, 2016 at 10:55 am

Nice post. Good timing for me. Getting started writing is a challenge. Feel like I have to always know what I’m going to write before pen something.
    thanx

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

Starting is always the hardest part! Thanks for commenting!

Rafia
    September 9, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Hey, I just started following your blog and I have to say I totally resonate with this post. I think in the past I convinced myself I was too busy to start writing, but really, I didn’t have a plan and was afraid it’d amount to a waste. I don’t think we’ll ever not be busy, but like you said, we just have to start. When I find myself in Twitter too, then I know I can be making better use of my time!

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:12 am

Yes, we all can make room for what we really value as important – no matter the busyness of our schedules! Thanks for stopping by!

Amylou
    September 10, 2016 at 1:09 am

I can so relate to this! Nicely written and a great reminder to all writers out there.

Saturday Shares – Ordinary Epiphanies
    September 10, 2016 at 6:03 am

[…] Just Start (and get over your need for a perfect plan) “Fall has taken off and I feel as though I am left chasing after it, like the kid who missed his bus. And so, without a vision of what is important, the tyrannical urgent has moved my days along.” […]

Just Start [and get over your need for a perfect plan] – Floralmemorials
    September 10, 2016 at 2:28 pm

[…] Source: Just Start [and get over your need for a perfect plan] […]

Kim
    September 10, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Preach it! 😉 I struggle with the same thing sometimes — I don’t start because there doesn’t seem to be enough time, but add those little chunks of time together and big things can happen! 🙂

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:08 am

So much can happen if you use the small bits of time throughout the day! It is so much easier to scroll through social media or piddle around and do nothing, but I’m learning to be intentional about using the small pieces of time productively. Thanks for your comment!

wordsfromayeshasmind
    September 10, 2016 at 8:12 pm

“Most of us don’t need a better plan, we just need to start.” – I LOVE that quote!

Treasure
    September 12, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Sometimes my need for perfection keeps me at a stand still. ((Love this post! It’s exactly how I feel.)) A teacher once told me, “I don’t need it to be perfect T, I just need you to finish it!” << The best feeling ever to hear her say that.

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:05 am

It is so hard to keep the desire for perfection from holding us back! So glad you stopped by!

syrosario97
    September 15, 2016 at 10:57 am

I’m so using that quote! Thanks for sharing it 🙂

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:01 am

Yes, this quote has stayed with me for a few weeks – it is such a helpful reminder. Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

amanda bixler
    September 20, 2016 at 10:04 am

Oh, how much I need to read this today! Too often I find myself much better at planning in the future, making the to do list, coordinating the tasks, but struggle to actually do the things on the list. I’m great at starting a plan, horrible at actually starting the plan – thank you for the encouragement to just show up, write, and not be worried about the perfectly planned outcome.

– Amanda | amandabixler.com

greeroharah
      September 20, 2016 at 10:20 am

I’m right there with you, Amanda! Good luck on getting started! Thanks for stopping by!