23 In Christian Living/ Love/ Scripture/ Uncategorized

No More Noise

Yesterday I spotted single yellow leaf waving on the tree outside my front door. Today there were two.

Ready or not fall is coming.

New seasons bring with them new goals, new schedules, new rhythms, new to-do lists. The gusts of frenzied wind is not only outside our windows. We pat down our wind blown hair and hold on to our composure and hope that somehow all our efforts at order and success will be fruitful.

IMG_9349IMG_8709IMG_5938IMG_5761IMG_1348

We have lists a mile long. Deadlines for big projects. Household tasks that never seem to end. Sports practices and music rehearsals to attend. Self-improvement goals. Resolutions and chores and meetings and seminars and trips and … and…

Somewhere, in the unnoticed clenched jaw, in the slight unease in the back corner of our heart, we are all thinking one thing.

I hope the work ahead of me matters.

I hope that the things that I am devoting my time, my energy, MY LIFE to – I hope that they matter.

We’ve all done things that have felt worthless. We’ve had pursuits were in vain, spent time that was wasted, devoted time to something that was meaningless. And its left us scared silly that, at the end of the day, our hours of toil will be nothing but noise. A resounding gong echoing in a dark void. A cymbal, clanging loudly in an abandoned room.

There was a group of people in Corinth a few thousand years ago that wondered the same thing. They were pursuing big things, things that sounded impressive, that would have looked good on a resume, that made them important. They wanted their words to be dripping in eloquence and potency. They wanted to have great knowledge and an audience that would listen to and respect them. They wanted to change the world, extravagantly giving away money and perhaps even dying for a cause.

They were told they could do all this, they could pursue and posses the greatest abilities they could imagine. But there was one thing that, if lacking, would nullify all their wildest dreams and ambitious pursuits.

Love.

Love was the only thing that would make their work matter. And it is the only thing that makes our work matter.

We can achieve every goal on our to-do list. We can accomplish all the tasks expected of us. We can go further and do more than anyone would have thought possible. We can be bestsellers, we can become CEOs or presidents, we can be world changers. We can even die. But without love we are nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Take another look at your plans for the fall. Are they about accomplishing more and moving further up a ladder, or is it about lavishly, generously, outrageously loving the people in your life?

So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

jey2016
    August 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

Wow! Indeed a nice shot.

jey2016
    August 30, 2016 at 9:33 am

[…] via No More Noise — Ordinary Epiphanies […]

shellsstudio
    August 30, 2016 at 9:37 am

I loved what you had to say. Today I spotted thousands of new green leaves sprouting of our pinoak, on the other side of your world people are looking forward to spring, to new beginnings, new hopes and lives.

Wolfepack Adventures
    August 30, 2016 at 10:16 am

Lovely… and a great reminder. The trade winds are back here, which kind of signals fall. Thanks for the encouragement to love those around me fiercely 😌 (because I am such a list maker…)

greeroharah
      September 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Ah yes – here’s to us list-makers choosing to love first!

godsprincessdiaries
    August 30, 2016 at 11:10 am

Loooove your posts.

keatlaretswe
    August 30, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I enjoyed your post. I love what I am doing and you are right because there are times I ask myself if what I am doing is important or does it matter? Thank you for reminding me that doing what I love does matter to me and to enjoy every single moment of it.

greeroharah
      September 6, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Nothing done in love will ever be wasted.

dbobstoner
    August 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Our view from our window is of evergreens so some might say that nothing will change. We disagree.
    The trees have a character all of their own. The wind moves them in mysterious ways.
    We too can be blown but if we can see what God is doing in our lives we can be blown in accordance with his will.
    Thank you for the post.

Grace @ Cultural Life
    August 31, 2016 at 12:46 am

Beautiful! 🙂

Restless Mind
    August 31, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Somehow, this post makes me feel relaxed. It probably has to do with the fact that I’m a fall baby and I always see fall as the time to start fresh. Though I’m not satisfied with where I am in life, I am hoping that my current experiences amount to something worth harvesting in the near future.

greeroharah
      September 6, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Seed planting can be tedious – the harvest will make it worth it in the end.

The Avid Dreamer
    September 2, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Really like your post mam, great writing and expression of speech.

yunwin
    September 2, 2016 at 12:54 pm

When you recognise beauty in a barren tree with dainty flowers. Can only be love within. Beauty of things to come.

Saturday Shares – Ordinary Epiphanies
    September 3, 2016 at 6:04 am

[…] No More Noise “So at the start of this new season, this new semester, this new school year, we’re all hoping that the things that we’ve jotted down in our bullet journals and the items we’ve added to in our calendars and the jobs we’ve committed ourselves to will mean something in the grand scheme of this crazy world.” […]

Tomi
    September 7, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Just stumbled across your blog and I’m so glad I did. All I can say is that this was a word in season… Sometimes it’s so easy to focus on the next big thing I need to do but this is a great reminder of how, if I focus too much on that, I’ll miss the opportunities God gives me to ‘outrageously love’ those around me now. Thank you!

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:14 am

Thank you so much Tomi! So glad you found your way here! Here’s to outrageously loving!

vaishnavisharigmailcom
    September 8, 2016 at 9:42 pm

awesome!!!

Amylou
    September 10, 2016 at 1:05 am

This is really beautiful… I think I’m learning this more and more as time goes on.

greeroharah
      September 19, 2016 at 10:11 am

Thank you so much, it is a lifelong lesson for sure!

Put Aside Your Regime {An Invitation to Autumn Mantras that won’t deplete} – Ordinary Epiphanies
    September 12, 2016 at 2:17 pm