9 In Uncategorized/ What I Learned

What I Learned in March

March is coming to a close. And though I am usually amazed at how quickly the month sped by, these past 31 days were packed high and loaded down. It is high time we get on to April, springtime, and maybe some buds on the tree outside my door. But first, a few things that March taught me:

1. Too many good books is better than too few.

I have devoted a shelf in my living room to the books I want to read next. I keep it well stocked, mostly with library books. In the moments I have time to read a few pages I always have something that fits my mood. And though half of them are create fines on my library account and often returned unread, it has become a habit that adds much brightness to my world. (Join me here on Saturday for a list of the books I did actually get to this month.)

1. Costuming a show is harder than it looks.

And it looked hard. My gratitude goes out to all of my costumers in the past who put clothes on me and made me look good on stage – it is a huge job. (And as a side note, pretending you’re a seamstress isn’t the same as actually being one.)

1. Writing is something I do for me.

And though I want my words to reach others and impact the lives of those who read them, and though I’m thrilled when they are found worthy of sharing (more on that next week), I am going to keep writing regardless of the numbers of followers, likes, or publishing offers I get. “If your writing helps one person it has been used by God. And it has already helped one person because it has helped you.”

1. Skiing is like riding a bike.

After a decade hiatus from this winter sport (all the while living in Colorado), my husband and I hit the slopes twice this month. And all the (mediocre) skills I had in high school returned to me. I was zooming down those greens like a pro. (And by pro I mean I didn’t fall very often.)

1. I don’t “spring forward” very well when Daylight savings hits.

So if I am groggy and the crevices under my eyes keep getting deeper today, let’s just blame it on the time change that happened three weeks ago. “The days don’t speed by at this time of the year. They chug.”

1. High quality coffee is worth the money.

See no. 5.

1. Emotions are part of what makes us human.

I’m learning to be ok with feeling deeply. Before I rationalize or reason away the emotions that are bringing unexpected and unwelcome tears to my tired eyes I take a few minutes and notice how it feels to be alive. “Our feelings are a component of what it means to be made in the image of God. To cut them out of spirituality is to slice off a part of our humanity.”

[It has become a refreshing habit to slow down at the end of each month and review what it held. I am thankful to Emily Freeman for making space for myself and many others to take part in these monthly reviews. Care to join us?]

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Larissa
    April 1, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Beautiful lessons! I love #7. Emotions are such a messy but wonderful part of the human experience.

greeroharah
      April 1, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Yes – messy and wonderful is a perfect description! Thanks for stopping by!

melissa
    April 1, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Yes, love number 7 too and number 3! Your blog has a soothing calm comforting feel to it that I appreciate!

greeroharah
      April 2, 2016 at 10:24 am

Thank you, Melissa! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. So encouraging! Blessings.

What I Learned in March | one hopeful year
    April 3, 2016 at 10:47 am

[…] Source: What I Learned in March […]

onehopefulyear
    April 3, 2016 at 10:49 am

I’ve made the same decision about continuing to write regardless of how many read. Sometimes I have to make the decision over and over again because it can get a little disheartening. Still, let’s persevere! I also have a bunch of on-going books to read. I never thought about how I choose what to read based on my mood, but you’re right! I do! Glad to have found you via Emily’s blog!

greeroharah
      April 4, 2016 at 9:17 am

Yes. I have to keep making this decision on a regular basis. Our perseverance will be worth it! So glad you found your way here!

Whitney @ Journey Mercies
    April 5, 2016 at 12:31 pm

#1 is such a good idea. i have a serious problem when it comes to checking out too many books at once from the library, and only reading one or two. i’m learning to discipline myself! and yes – writing is so much for ourselves as much as for everyone else. it reminds me of elizabeth gilbert in her book ‘big magic’ – she talks about the importance of writing because we’re made to do it, not to try to save the world. and even if 100 people read a blog post, that has a huge impact – when have we ever spoken to 100 people at once? it’s easy to compare our blogs to other, bigger ones – but i really think God gives us just as big of a platform as we need. loved reading your thoughts!

greeroharah
      April 6, 2016 at 7:42 am

I loved Big Magic – a lot of my thoughts that went into that post on writing were formed as I read that book! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing such encouragement! Blessings on your journey!